01. supporting Ayacucho's local farmers
02. training program for youngsters
The program turns them into successful agricultural entrepreneurs. The key to succes? Sustainability based on biological agriculture! During the training we discuss several topics, such as sustainable soil management, the avoidance of erosion, sustainable water use, sorting, recycling, compost use, environment friendly pest management, business management, personal development, ect.
At the moment 100 youngsters were trained in Jovem. Way to go!
We spend 25% (!) of our profits to our social projects.
03. familias saludables
04. climate neutral transport
We prevent 64.000 kg of CO2 emissions on an annual basis.
Besides our sustainable co-operation with the quinoa farmers, we also want to contribute to a more sustainable ocean shipping.
Our quinoa is transported from the port of Callao, Peru to Antwerp, Belgium on the basis of sustainable biofuel. As it concerns second generation biofuels, made from waste or residual flows, there is never any competition with food production. Indeed, there is no direct or indirect land use change and no deforestation or biodiversity loss.
How does it work?
Solid Food buys enough biofuel for the transport from Lima to Antwerp of more than 40 containers with quinoa per year. This biofuel is then sold to the shipping industry. In other words, the corresponding volume of fossil fuel is replaced with sustainable biofuel onboard a vessel that would have normally run completely on fossil fuels. Although we cannot guarantee that this biofuel will actually end up in the ship with our quinoa, we do send a clear signal to the ocean shipping industry: we want to ship our goods sustainably!
In 2020 Solid Food Peru obtained, as one of the first companies in Ayacucho, it's Peruvian fairtrade label of "Buenas Practicas de Comercio Justo".
Download our fairtrade certificate and have a look at our other certificates !
- Paying a fair price to its suppliers enabling them to obtain an adequate profit.
- Guarantee equal treatment to its workers, e.g. offering equal opportunities to women.
- Offering capacity building to its workers and suppliers.
- Promoting safe labor conditions.
- Promoting eradication of child labor by raising awareness among farmers.
- Respect the environment by using renewable sources and optimizing raw materials use.